Extension-Sensitive Low Back Pain (Facet, OA, Stenosis Patterns) - DAY 1
SCARY XRAY RESULTS? A LOT OF TIMES IT SOUNDS WORSE THAN IT IS.
HERE'S WHAT DAY 1 OF CONSERVATIVE MANAGEMENT LOOKS LIKE
1. A QUICK OVERVIEW OF WHAT WE'RE DEALNG WITH
2. HIP FLEXOR STRETCHING
Goal: Absolutely critical for improving tolerance of upright postures by making avoiding extended spine position easier to avoid
Dosage: 45mins/day or whenever standing
- Tips: Don't lean backwards! Look for the stretch directly by contracting the front glute.
3. Repeated Flexion maneuvers
- Goal: Controls back and nerve pain
Dosage: As needed
- Tips: Try breathing techniques to release muscle tension as you go. Can always add heat if you find it relaxing.
- Techniques: Hanging downwards towards your toes in sitting or standing. You could also try child's pose (from Yoga)
These resources are intended for Steven Procter's patients, and only as prescribed. It is important to be evaluated, diagnosed, and educated on which exercises are indicated or contraindicated for a particular condition before attempting them independently.